A lot of people imagine Russia as a country covered with snow.
Even though we do have summer (sometimes!) but right now, in January, it is cold indeed. If you happen to visit Russia in winter, make sure you pack appropriate clothes.
Here are some tips for you:
- The key is the upper layer. If you have a good coat or jacket, you will be warm. We understand that not everyone has a fur coat, but a good puffer jacket will also do.
- Wear natural wool – it is the best material to keep you warm. Russians always wear woolen sweaters and pullovers in winter.
- You will need to protect your head, throat and hands. Be sure to have a warm hat, a scarf and gloves. By the way, mittens are warmer than gloves!
- Pay more attention to your footwear. Have a few pairs of warm socks and shoes with thick sole. The higher you are from the ground, the warmer you stay.
- Thermal underwear is an excellent idea!
If you follow these simple rules, Russia will not be as cold as it seems. And if you get cold anyway after long walks around the streets, have a cup of hot coffee or mulled wine in one of the welcoming cafes of St Petersburg!